Neurological, Musculoskeletal Manifestations of the Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome
- This article is an overview of the neurological and spinal conditions associated with EDS, including CCI, tethered cord, chiari malformation and other conditions. Access to the article is free.
- Connecting the dots with EDS, POTS, MCAS, GI, Neurological and Physiotherapy in managing pain in EDS by Dr Pradeep Chopra (Assoc Prof in Pain Medicine) – 2018 presentation pdf here, video here.
- My blog post reviewing an article on Headaches in Hypermobility and Marfan Syndrome
Upper Cervical Instability, Craniocervical Instability:
- Physio Network Blog (Aug 2021) – Upper Cervical Instability in Hypermobile Patients – link here.
- Craniocervical Instability and Dysautonomia
This is a YouTube presentation by Dr Fraser Henderson at the EDS Nashville Conference in 2019. He lectures on the anatomy, physiology and functions of the autonomic nervous system, including the system’s relationships with POTS, chiari, and CCI etc.
Slides from the Youtube presentation here.
- 5-year follow-up study on craniocervical reduction, fusion, and stabilization for those with cervical medullary syndrome, ventral brainstem compression, and CCI. This is an article published in Neurosurgical Review in 2019 on a 5-year follow-up study post-craniocervical surgery for cervical medullary syndrome secondary to CCI and ventral brainstem compression. Access to the article is free.
- Cranio-cervical Instability in Patients with Hypermobility Connective Disorders
This is a Commentary by Dr Fraser Henderson published in the Journal of Spine in 2016.
- Imaging for Cervical and Craniocervical Instability
This is a Youtube video by Dr Myles Koby on the imaging techniques used for cervical and craniocervical instability in those with Connective Tissue Disorders.
- Physiotherapy for Patients With Craniocervical Instability and Chiari
This is a YouTube presentation by Dr Michael Healy, a Physiotherapist and Advanced Manual Therapist based in Rhode Island, USA. Link to video here.
TMJ and Craniofacial pain:
- The effect of Ehlers-Danlos syndromes on TMJ function and craniofacial pain by Mitakides J.E (2018) [free full text]
Cerebrospinal Fluid (CSF) Leak:
- Thorough and up-to-date article on CSF Leak and Intracranial Hypotension (IH) by Australian physiotherapist Nicole Frost (Flex-Ability Physio) published on the Australian Physiotherapy Association publication, In Motion, on Aug 2020.
- Sensible Physical Restrictions after Epidural Patching or Surgery presented by Physical Therapist Laura Freed (Apex Physical Therapy) in 2017. Youtube video here. Slides here.