I am a postdoctoral physiotherapist with expertise in managing acute and chronic musculoskeletal injuries. I undertook a research and clinical career pathway, which led to several of my publications on neck pain, and the completion of my PhD at the University of Queensland in 2017.
Having worked in the private sector for many years, I consult all musculoskeletal conditions, with special interests in the following conditions:
- Hypermobility Spectrum Disorders (HSDs)
- Hypermobile Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (hEDS)
- Ehlers- Danlos Syndrome (EDS) and Connective Tissue Disorders (CTDs)
- Neck, back, shoulder and arm pain, including but not exclusive to:
- Cervicogenic headaches and dizziness
- Whiplash and associated disorders (i.e. dizziness, headaches, visual disturbances)
- Concussion syndrome
- Thoracic outlet syndrome
- Nerve impingement, neuropathies, radiculopathies, disc-related pathologies
- Hip pain, including but not exclusive to:
- Hip impingement syndromes
- Lateral hip pain – bursitis, tendinopathies
- Work-related injuries (Workcover claims)
- Complex, car accident related injuries (Compulsory Third Party, CTP insurance claims)
I regularly keep myself informed on the latest evidence on HSDs, hEDS, and musculoskeletal conditions. I apply a multi-modal approach to management including advice and education, real time ultrasound (RTUS), electrical muscle stimulation, strapping/taping, dry needling, Clinical Pilates, exercise prescription and manual therapy.
Our Hypermobility Services Team Leader Sharon Hennessey and I are involved in regular focus group meetings to create and improve our patient handouts, discuss case studies and share knowledge on the latest evidence-based practice strategies. In addition, fortnightly inservice sessions are held by our clinic lead, Dr Alison Grimaldi for ongoing professional training and learning.
- Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency
Registration no: PHY0001709945
- Australian Physiotherapy Association Member
Membership no: 89379
- International Consortium on Ehlers Danlos Syndrome and Related Disorders
- Medicare & DVA Provider: 4637582T (PhysioTec)
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD), The University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Health Science (1st Class Honours), The University of Queensland
- Bachelor of Physiotherapy (University of South Australia)
- Diploma of Physiotherapy (Nanyang Polytechnic, Singapore)
- Dean’s Award for Outstanding Higher Degree by Research Theses, University of Queensland (2017)
- University of Queensland Idea Hub Travel Scholarship (2017)
- Australian Postgraduate Award Scholarship, Australian Federal Government (2013-2017)
- Three Minute Thesis for Honours Students Finalist, University of Queensland (2012)
- University Merit Award, University of South Australia (2011)
- Health Sciences Study Bursary Award, National Healthcare Group, Singapore (2007)
Courses & Workshops:
- Hypermobility, Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome & Related Disorders:
- Dysautonomia International 2020 Virtual Conference (October 2020)
- EDS ECHO Summit for Health Professionals (October 2020)
- Project ECHO for Allied Health Professionals by the Ehlers-Danlos Society (April-Sept 2020)
- Project ECHO Multidisciplinary Group 3B by the Ehlers-Danlos Society (Jan- April 2020)
- Ehlers-Danlos Society – Sydney Health Professionals Day (2018)
- General Musculoskeletal & Neurological:
- “Making Complex Regional Pain Syndrome Less Complex” by Dr James Ooi (2020) – Australian Physiotherapy Association Webinar
- Online Workshop by Dr Alison Grimaldi (2020)
- Anterior Hip & Groin Pain
- Lateral Hip & Buttock Pain
- Real-Time Ultrasound for Musculoskeletal Rehabilitation – Neck, Shoulder, Trunk, Pelvic Floor & Hips by Dr Alison Grimaldi (2018)
- Introduction to Musculoskeletal Ultrasound by Dr Alison Grimaldi (2018)
- DMA Clinical Pilates for Physiotherapists Unit A (2017)
- Musculoskeletal Segmental Layering & Dry Needling Course for Physiotherapists (2013)
- Head, Neck & Jaw:
- QSports Medicine Webinar – Managing Concussion in Acute and Complex Settings by Dr Sharon Stay & Dr Olivia Galea (2020)
- Workshop – Introduction to Vestibular Rehabilitation by A/Prof Natalie Rando & Leia Barnes (2019)
- Cervicogenic, Oculomotor and Vestibular Evaluation and Treatment post-concussion by Dr Julia Treleaven (2018)
- Clinical Assessment and Management of Whiplash by Dr Trudy Rebbeck (2018)
- Making Sense of Temporomandibular Disorders by Dr Guy Zito (2018)
- Watson Headache Institute – The Role of C1-C3 Cervical Afferents in Primary Headache Level 1 Foundation Course (2018)
- Workshop – Management of Cervical Disorders by Prof Gwendolen Jull, Dr Julia Treleaven & Dr Lucy Thomas (2015)
- Advanced Physiotherapy Management of Cervical Spine Disorders Workshop (Singapore) by Prof Gwendolen Jull (2010)
- Data Analysis using STATA by Dr Asad Khan (2015, 2016, 2017)
- Tutors @ University of Queensland (2016)
- Welch, A., Healy, G., Straker, L., Comans T., O’Leary S., Melloh M.,Sjøgaard G, Pereira M., Chen X., Johnston V. Process evaluation of a workplace-based health promotion and exercise cluster-randomised trial to increase productivity and reduce neck pain in office workers: a RE-AIM approach. BMC Public Health 20, 180 (2020). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-020-8208-9
- Zheng RTJ, Chen X, Johnston V. Workplace-Based Exercise Intervention Improves Work Ability in Office Workers: A Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2019; 16 (15): 2633.
- Chen X, O’Leary S, Johnston V. Modifiable individual and work-related factors associated with neck pain in 740 office workers: results of a cross-sectional study. Brazilian Journal of Physical Therapy. 2018 Jul-Aug;22(4):318-327.
- Pereira M, Comans T, O’Leary S, Straker L, Melloh M, Sjøgaard G, Chen X, Johnston V. The impact of workplace ergonomics and neck-specific exercise versus ergonomics and health promotion education interventions on health-related productivity in office workers using an employer’s perspective: A cluster-randomised trial. Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment & Health. 2019 Jan 1; 45(1): 42-52.
- Chen X, Coombes BK, Sjøgaard G, Jun D, O’Leary S, Johnston V. Workplace-based interventions for neck pain in office workers: systematic review and meta-analysis. Physical Therapy. 2018; 98(1): 40-62
- Treleaven J, Chen X, Sarig-Bahat H. Factors associated with cervical kinematic impairments in patients with neck pain. Manual Therapy.2016;22:109-115.
- Sarig-Bahat H, Takasaki H, Chen X, Treleaven J. Cervical kinematic training with and without an interactive virtual reality device for chronic neck pain – a pilot randomized clinical trial. Physiotherapy. 2015;101:e1535-e1536.
- Sarig-Bahat H, Chen X, Reznik D, Treleaven J. Interactive cervical motion kinematics: Sensitivity, specificity and clinically significant values for identifying kinematic impairments in patients with chronic neck pain. Manual Therapy.2015;20(2):295.
- Chen X, Treleaven J. The effect of neck torsion on joint position error in subjects with chronic neck pain. Manual Therapy. 2013;18(6):562-7.
Research Conference Presentations:
- Chen X, Coombes B, Sjøgaard G, Jun D, O’Leary S, Johnston V. Workplace-based interventions for neck pain in office workers – a systematic review and meta-analysis. Prevention of work-related musculoskeletal disorders (PREMUS) conference, Toronto, Canada. June 2016.
- Chen X, Coombes B, Sjøgaard G, Jun D, O’Leary S, Johnston V. Workplace-based interventions for neck pain in office workers – a systematic review and meta-analysis. Australian Physiotherapy Association conference, Gold Coast, Australia. October 2015.
- Chen X, Treleaven J. What is the effect of neck torsion on joint position error in subjects with neck pain? Three-Minute Thesis Competition (Finalist), Undergraduate Research Conference. September 2012.
Physio Network Research Review Contributions:
- Open Access (August 2020) – Chronic fatigue in Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome – Hypermobile type
- Issue 31 (June 2020) – Symptomatic Joint Hypermobility
- Issue 23 (October 2019) – Screening of the cervical spine in subacromial shoulder pain: a systematic review
- Issue 20 (July 2019) – Prevention, assessment, prognosis, and treatment of concussion syndrome
- Issue 17 (April 2019) – Dizziness, unsteadiness, visual disturbances, and sensorimotor control in traumatic neck pain – clinical commentary
- Issue 14 (January 2019) – Clinical course and prognostic models for the conservative management of cervical radiculopathy: a prospective cohort study
- Evidence for interventions to reduce and prevent neck pain in office workers. University of Queensland Physiotherapy Student Lecture, 2016-2017.
- Promoting health in the workplace- the role of exercise. University of Queensland Physiotherapy Student Lecture, 2015.
Clinic Inservice Contributions:
- Critical Appraisal of Research Evidence. Physiotec Physiotherapy Staff Inservice, 2019